The dedicated lawyers of Willig, Williams & Davidson have secured numerous multimillion-dollar and six-figure verdicts on behalf of union members and individual working people. While these and other substantial monetary awards are certainly noteworthy, we are also very proud of our commitment to protecting the rights and interests of everyday people. Whether we are fighting to preserve jobs, advocating for fair wages, guiding a client through the process of adopting a child, or pursuing a consumer claim, we derive tremendous satisfaction from providing experienced, affordable legal representation to our clients.
International and local unions and employee benefit funds rely on our knowledge and experience. Working families rely on our prepaid legal services plans and we care about each client. Our commitment to our clients enables labor organizations and their members to obtain quality legal services and the individual attention that they deserve.
Every case is different and none of our previous results should be relied upon to guarantee similar results in the future. A sampling of the successes we have achieved for our clients includes:
- Successfully defending ground-breaking collectively bargained contractual job security provisions with a large Philadelphia-area employer in both labor arbitration and federal court;
- Drafting and defending legislation requiring non-union workers in a bargaining unit to pay fair share fees to the union for benefits negotiated on their behalf;
- Handling the reorganization of a large health and welfare fund that required benefits to be stabilized, inappropriate vendors to be terminated and outstanding payments to be collected, ultimately resulting in a legally and efficiently run fund;
- Securing a $4 million verdict against an Ivy League University on behalf of a former faculty member who was wrongfully terminated;
- Saving the jobs of hundreds of disabled state employees who faced termination by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
- Negotiating a pension benefit settlement that averted the need for a strike in a major U.S. port.
- Successfully prosecuting a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act claim in federal bankruptcy court on behalf of hundreds of hospital employees;
- Securing a $2.5 million verdict against a closely held corporation, and its officers in a sexual harassment matter;
- Prevailing in a major arbitration regarding a large Philadelphia employer’s obligation to provide domestic partner benefits;
- Successfully litigating the applicability of the Pennsylvania Heart & Lung Act to police officers and firefighters in Philadelphia;
- Protecting union leaders who were subjected to retaliatory actions due to their political activities;
In recognition of Willig, Williams & Davidson attorneys’ outstanding advocacy, “Best Lawyers in America” frequently lists many of our lawyers among the top practitioners in their respective fields and Philadelphia magazine annually includes many of our lawyers in its Pennsylvania Super Lawyer and Rising Star listings. The firm has also been consistently recognized as a U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firm.” National organizations such as the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health and the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel invite our attorneys to join their memberships as fellows. Willig, Williams & Davidson attorneys have also been honored by many of the non-profit and community groups who benefit from our firm’s dedication to philanthropy. These organizations include Temple University, Rutgers University Law School, the Philadelphia Bar Association, the Women's Law Project, the Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent Program (VIP), the Support Center for Child Advocates, Women’s Way, the Jewish Labor Committee, The City of Hope, and the Nicholas A. Cipriani Family Law American Inn of Court.
In addition to providing outstanding legal services to our clients and giving back to our profession and the greater Delaware Valley community, Willig, Williams & Davidson is a recognized academic resource within both the labor and legal communities. Our Philadelphia and PA lawyers are frequently called upon to lecture on labor relations, employee benefits and civil litigation topics at leading labor, employee benefits fund, and professional events, and regularly contribute to legal and labor and employee benefit fund publications.