Attorney's Practice Areas
Labor Law - Union Representation
Employment Law - Individual and Class Representation
Nancy B. G. Lassen
Nancy B. G. Lassen is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Willig, Williams & Davidson. Nan has focused her practice on labor law at Willig, Williams & Davidson since 1984.
Nan grew up in Detroit, MI in a family with strong ties to labor. Her father (a disabled veteran) was a Teamster. Her mother was a UAW member. And her grandfather was a Steelworker. Nan herself has been a tireless and courageous advocate for working men and women for decades. Working in industry since age 15, including on a Chrysler assembly line, Nan developed a deep commitment to unions and especially worker safety and health. As a line and shop representative, Nan was on the front line advocating for workers long before she went to law school.
During more than thirty years of practice as a union-side labor law attorney, Nan has achieved a reputation as a tireless and tenacious advocate for labor organizations and workers in every sector of the workforce, including public employees (uniformed and non-uniformed), federal employees, private sector and industrial workers, transportation workers, and the building trades.
Her extensive experience includes representing clients in collective bargaining, state and federal trial and appellate litigation, state and federal administrative agency proceedings, grievance and interest arbitrations, internal union proceedings and occupational health and safety disputes. Nan is also a sought-after speaker, educating union leaders, workers and attorneys in matters such as employment discrimination, family and medical leave, occupational safety and health, advocacy and representation skills, and the rights and responsibilities of labor unions and union members. Nan is also the Adjunct Professor of Labor Law at Drexel University’s Thomas R. Kline School of Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Nan attended the University of Michigan, where she was inducted into the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa honor society. She graduated from Northeastern University School of Law. After law school, Nan was a NIOSH Fellow and received a Master of Science in Occupational Physiology, Safety and Health from Harvard University. Nan was also the senior law clerk for Chief Judge George Clifton Edwards, Jr. on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in 1983-84.
Nan has been selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for 2015 in the field of Labor Law – Union. Nan also has been consistently named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, published annually in Philadelphia magazine.
Nan is AV® rated by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell® a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell has selected her as a "Top Rated Lawyer."
- Harvard University, M.S. (Occupational Physiology, Safety and Health), 1982
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 1981
- University of Michigan, Residential College, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, 1978
- Willig, Williams & Davidson, Associate, 1984-1989; Partner, 1990-Present
- Hon. George C. Edwards Jr., Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Senior Law Clerk, 1983-1984
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, 1981
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1984
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 1984
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1985
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1986
- United States Supreme Court, 1986
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 1995
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2004
- AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee, 1984-Present
- American Bar Association, 1981-Present
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 1984-Present
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Labor Committee Co-Chair, 1992
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1984-Present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-present
- Top Rated Lawyer, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rated
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004-present
- Who’s Who in American Law, 1995-2009
- Fellow, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, 1982
Articles & News
- 15 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2019 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2018
- 14 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2018 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 18, 2018
- 14 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2018 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2017
- 13 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2017 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 12, 2017
- Willig, Williams & Davidson Labor Lawyer Nancy B.G. Lassen provides insight on SEPTA Strike to WHYY and Newsworks
November 2, 2016
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2017 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2016
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2016 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 13, 2016
- Labor Law Attorney Nancy B. G. Lassen Interviewed in Story on Local Firm Hit with Whistleblower Suit
April 5, 2016
- Willig Williams & Davidson Lawyers Pongracz, Williams, and Lassen Meet Gay-Marriage Hero Mary L. Bonauto at Rutgers-Camden
February 19, 2016
- NLRB Throws Flag at Northwestern Football Players
January 19, 2016
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named to 2016 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 17, 2015
- 11 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2015 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 15, 2015
- 10 Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2015 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 18, 2014
- 11 Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named as 2014 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 23, 2014
- Game Change: NLRB Permits College Football Players to Elect a Union
April 4, 2014
- Labor Attorney Nancy Lassen Discusses Decision to Allow College Athletes to Unionize
March 31, 2014
- Ten Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2014
August 15, 2013
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
May 30, 2013
- Five Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2013 Top Rated Lawyers by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
December 12, 2012
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2011 List of
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
May 24, 2011
- Labor & Employment Lawyer Nancy Lassen Mentioned in Hope Moffett Lawsuit Coverage
March 14, 2011
- The Docket, The Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel University Newsletter