Attorney's Practice Areas
Labor Law - Union Representation
Employment Law - Individual and Class Representation
Election and Campaign Finance Law
Ralph J. Teti
A former Chief Deputy City Solicitor for the City of Philadelphia, Ralph J. Teti is a partner with Willig, Williams & Davidson. He focuses his practice on labor representation, including representation of clients in grievance and interest arbitrations, state and federal courts, and before numerous boards, agencies and commissions. Considered by his peers as a leading authority on federal and state election law and regulation, Ralph also serves as counsel for political candidates, political action committees and related organizations in matters such as campaign finance and election law enforcement.
Prior to joining Willig, Williams & Davidson, Ralph spent 16 years litigating for the City of Philadelphia, first as an assistant city solicitor and ultimately as chief deputy city solicitor.
During that time he was responsible for all employment-related litigation involving the city, including all facets of discrimination, hiring and promotion and labor relations issues. As chief deputy city solicitor, he also served as general counsel to the city’s police department, election commission, civil service commission and pension and retirement board.
Since joining Willig, Williams & Davidson, Ralph has contributed his talents to litigation involving the state’s takeover of the Philadelphia School District; litigation instituted to prevent the school district from placing responsibility for its operation with a private provider; and litigation to prevent the closure of, or a reduction in staff at, the Free Library of Philadelphia. In 1997, he successfully litigated the applicability of the Pennsylvania Heart & Lung Act to police officers and firefighters in Philadelphia. In 2003, he handled litigation that resulted in the elimination of a Philadelphia Home Rule Charter section banning voluntary political contributions by firefighters, asserting that the section violated the firefighters’ First Amendment rights. He also presents union client education workshops to ensure that clients are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to stand up for their rights.
Ralph has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Labor and Employment Law since 2006, and has been named the 2017 Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" in Labor Law - Union in the Philadelphia metro area. He also has been consistently named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters in the field of labor and employment law since 2006, published annually in Philadelphia magazine.
Ralph is AV® rated by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell®, a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- La Salle University, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1970
- Willig, Williams & Davidson, Partner, 2001-Present
- City of Philadelphia, Assistant/Deputy/Divisional Deputy City Solicitor, 1975-1984; Chief Deputy City Solicitor, 1984-1991
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1975
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1975
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow, 2015
- Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Hearing Committee, 1989-1994
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 1976-Present, City Policy Committee Chair (1992)
- Philadelphia Board of Pensions and Retirement, 1987-1991
- 2017 Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Labor Law
- Spirit of Life Award, City of Hope National Medical Center, 2010
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006-Present
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2006-Present
- Philadelphia Bowl, City of Philadelphia, 1991
- “Pennsylvania Guide to Election Law,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 1987
- “Litigation of DFR/Discrimination Cases,” ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, 2nd Annual Conference, Denver, Colo., 2008
Articles & News
- 15 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2019 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2018
- 14 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2018 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 18, 2018
- 14 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2018 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2017
- 13 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2017 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 12, 2017
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2017 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2016
- Labor Law Attorney Ralph Teti Quoted on The School District of Philadelphia's Collective Bargaining Dispute
May 18, 2016
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2016 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 13, 2016
- Willig, Williams & Davidson Partner Ralph J. Teti Elected to College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
October 5, 2015
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named to 2016 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 17, 2015
- 11 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2015 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 15, 2015
- Willig, Williams & Davidson Wins Major Victory For the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers
January 23, 2015
- Labor Law Attorney Ralph Teti Quoted On Temporary Injunction Against School Reform Commission
October 20, 2014
- Teacher Union Attorney Ralph Teti Comments on Moving Court Location in Dispute with School Reform Commission
October 19, 2014
- 10 Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2015 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 18, 2014
- 11 Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named as 2014 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 23, 2014
- Election and Campaign Finance Law Attorney Ralph J. Teti Quoted on Luzerne County's Independent Party-Line Vote
November 10, 2013
- Ten Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2014
August 15, 2013
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
May 30, 2013
- Labor and Employment Attorney Ralph Teti Speaks to KYW Newsradio about Union Lawsuit against Nutter Administration
January 29, 2013
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2013
October 3, 2012
- The Legal Intelligencer Quotes Labor Attorney Ralph Teti in Fire Service Paramedics Collective Bargaining Dispute Article
January 23, 2012
- Court Says Philadelphia Fire Service Paramedics Can Remain In Firefighters Union Local 22
January 19, 2012
- Ronnie Polaneczky: At PPA, tickets and violations
November 8, 2011
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2012
September 13, 2011
- The Philadelphia Inquirer Speaks to Union Lawyer Ralph Teti about Teacher Layoffs
June 12, 2011
- Employment Law Attorney Ralph Teti Interviewed on KYW Newsradio about Philadelphia School District Layoffs
June 7, 2011
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2011 List of
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
May 24, 2011
- Employment Law Attorney Ralph Teti Comments on the Hope Moffett Federal Lawsuit and Teachers' Rights
March 11, 2011
- Eight Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2011
March 3, 2011
- Employment Lawyer Ralph Teti Quoted on Unemployment Compensation
January 28, 2011