Susan Bahme Blumenfeld
Employee benefits lawyer, Susan Bahme Blumenfeld, counsels public and private-sector single and multi-employer pension and welfare funds on a full range of comprehensive benefits and tax issues.
Susan advises plan administrators and trustees on the day-to-day administration and operation of pension and welfare funds, including the requirements imposed on employee benefit plans by the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA and other federal and state laws. She works with welfare funds regarding operational, design and administrative issues relating to claims procedures and appeals, subrogation policies and compliance with COBRA and HIPAA, among other issues.
Susan also advises clients regarding the design, implementation and administration of cafeteria plans, flexible spending account plans, and health reimbursement arrangements. She represents clients in connection with audits by the Department of Labor and submissions to the Internal Revenue Service. She represents pension plans, including 401(k) plans, with respect to design, compliance and administration issues.
Susan counsels clients regarding their fiduciary responsibilities and represents them in negotiations with providers to the employee benefit funds, including prescription benefit managers, disease management services providers, investment consultants and other service providers to the funds. She also represents her employee benefit fund clients in litigation relating to delinquent employer contributions to these funds.
In addition to maintaining her active practice, Susan is a dedicated volunteer attorney with the Support Center for Child Advocates. In this capacity she represents Philadelphia’s abused and neglected children. The Support Center honored Susan as a Distinguished Advocate in 2008. Susan has been selected by her peers for inclusion in 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Employment Law (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.).
Prior to graduating from University of Pennsylvania Law School, Susan earned a bachelor of arts in American Culture from Northwestern University, where she was Phi Beta Kappa.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1987
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1983
- Willig, Williams & Davidson, Associate, 1996-2004; Partner, 2005-Present
- Freedman & Associates, Associate, 1993-1996
- Pepper Hamilton, Summer Associate, 1986; Associate, 1987-1993
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1987
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1987
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 1987-Present
- Support Center for Child Advocates, Volunteer Attorney, 1988-Present
- Distinguished Advocate, Support Center for Child Advocates, 2008
- Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2017
Articles & News
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2017 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 15, 2016
- IRS Extends Deadlines for ACA Reporting
January 20, 2016
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named to 2016 'Best Lawyers in America'
August 17, 2015
- Employers and Unions Must Prepare for 'Cadillac Tax'
October 1, 2014
- IRS Recognizes Married Same-Sex Couples Regardless of Place of Residence
October 9, 2013
- U.S. Supreme Court Strikes DOMA Down - What Does It Mean?
July 12, 2013
- Important Ruling By U.S. Supreme Court: ERISA Plan Terms Govern In Reimbursement Case
April 24, 2013
- Highlights on Health Care Reform Legislation
May 20, 2010