Bruce M. Ludwig
A partner in Willig, Williams & Davidson’s labor department, Bruce M. Ludwig has been representing unions and working individuals for more than 30 years. He counsels and represents clients in state and federal courts and administrative matters ranging from discrimination and civil rights disputes to pension, retirement, unemployment compensation and wage and hour issues.
Resident in the firm’s Philadelphia office, Bruce is a skilled litigator and strategist who has served as counsel and/or chief negotiator for a diverse array of labor organizations and their members. He represents clients at all levels of state and federal litigation and advocates on their behalf before numerous boards, agencies and commissions, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (PaHRC), among others.
Bruce takes pride in protecting the rights of hard-working individuals and the unions that represent them. Though based in Philadelphia, he also offers counsel and support to clients in the Chicago area as part of the firm’s Of Counsel relationship with Illinois Advocates, LLC. In a case involving the State System of Higher Education, he secured the pension rights of state employees before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. He also served as counsel in a wage and hour matter that resolved with a $2.2 million settlement for home care workers. In recognition of the interplay of government and workers’ rights, Bruce performed pro bono legal work during the 2000 presidential electoral fight that took place in Florida.
A well-known labor and employment attorney, Bruce has consistently been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, published annually in Philadelphia magazine, since 2005.
Bruce is AV® rated by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell® a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Bruce graduated Magna Cum Laude with his Bachelor of Arts from Yale College and received his law degree from University of Pennsylvania Law School.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1976
- Yale College, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1973
- Willig, Williams & Davidson, Partner, 2007-Present
- Sheller, Ludwig & Badey, Associate, 1977-1990; Partner, 1991-2006
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1976
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1977
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1977
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1986
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1977-Present
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 1985-Present
- AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee, 1984-Present
- Sierra Club, 1979-Present
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rated
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Philadelphia Magazine, 2005-2016
- "Growing the Union at Penn State University: Issues in Organizing a Residual Unit in the Public Sector,” International Conference of Teamsters Lawyers, Providence, R.I., 2014
- “The Family and Medical Leave Act,” PPER/LRP, Hershey, Pa., 1993
Articles & News
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2016 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 13, 2016
- 11 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named 2015 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 15, 2015
- Supreme Court Victory for PA Healthcare Workers and the Public
March 3, 2015
- Philadelphia Labor Law Attorney Bruce M. Ludwig Presents at International Conference of Teamsters Lawyers
October 27, 2014
- Labor Law Attorney Bruce Ludwig Quoted on the NLRB's Decision in Pursuing McDonald's
August 7, 2014
- 11 Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named as 2014 PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 23, 2014
- Attorney Bruce M. Ludwig Makes Case to PA Supreme Court to Halt Closure of State Health Centers
March 17, 2014
- Employers May Be Using Electronic Surveillance to Monitor Employees
January 8, 2014
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
May 30, 2013
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2011 List of
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
May 24, 2011
- Employment Law Attorney Bruce Ludwig Comments on the Enforcement of Social Media Policies
March 24, 2011
- Employment Law Attorney Bruce Ludwig Discusses Employment Law and Social Media Policies
February 13, 2011
- Philadelphia Union Lawyers Secure Hard-won Victory for Pennsylvania Public Employees Deprived of Pay During Budget Clashes
December 30, 2009
- Final Approval Granted In Johnson v. Pennsylvania Agency of Nurses
December 1, 2009
- Final Approval Granted in Bethune v. Maxim Healthcare Services
October 30, 2009
- Court Certifies Wage & Hour Class Action in Bishop, et al. v. Lee's Industries, Inc.
October 23, 2009